Is 180 acres sustainable??

2 posts

Member for

8 years 11 months

Is 180 acres sustainable??

Hi all,

I am a 45Yo looking to purchase land to retire to as a 15 year goal. I am currently interested in 180 acres in the Oberon NSW area.

My goal is to purchase the land now which is a "blank canvas" of fenced and dammed paddocks. Over time I will need to improve with yards, shed and eventually a house.I am quite prepared to spend every weekend at the farm (currently live in Sydney). we have friends in the area that we visit regularly, and love the lifestyle and climate of the area.

My goal is to start by purchasing 40 weaners and trying to derive enough income to assist offsetting the mortgage costs. I am trying to compare the income from this to the same income/deductions as what I would receive by buying an investment holiday rental for the same price. (The neysayers insist that I am better off buying an investment property, but they totally miss the lifestyle choice)

Is it conceivable to say that I will turnover $20Kpa off 40 weaners (turning over stock say 3 times every 2 years)? and like an investment property can the deductions of neg gearing work? I don't mean for this to be a financial advice question and not looking for hard facts, just general opinion. The initial costs are roughly $36K pa (Mortgage, feed, drench etc) which I can maintain if I can make another $20K off the farm.

Is this achievable or am I kidding myself and need to keep saving?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Andrew

Forums
I would say to start more modestly than 40 weaners. Learn the carrying capacity of your block through the seasons. Is the block divided into smaller paddocks or are you going to set graze? I would be careful of pushing at Oberon with their winters and associated slow growth. Basically, I would give my standard advice, subdivide so each paddock has about a weeks feed, rotate through your paddocks so your pasture has recovered before regrazing it. Keep your pasture in vegetative phase. Do a search on cell grazing, it really works. Learn how to run electric fences, they are mobile and cheaper. Cheers Rob.

Our Sponsors

•  
  • Rivendell finance

Our Partners

•  Rivendell finance