Buying my first cattle

3 posts

Member for

1 year
Anonymous (not verified)
Last seen: 01/01/1970 - 10:00
Joined: 12/07/2018 - 14:58

Buying my first cattle

Hi all,

          I am fairly new to this farming game, so go easy on me if I ask some basic farming questions. Not long ago I purchased a few acreas (big to me but a hobby farm to most) and am now looking to buy my first cattle. A local that I met down at the pub said that I need a PIC number if I want to buy cattle? Can someone tell my what is a PIC and if I need it, even though I only want to buy a few head of cattle? Any other farm advice would be appreciated.


Last seen: 12/26/2018 - 09:21
Joined: 05/31/2011 - 09:44


No small farming question is too basic here at FarmStyle, we are all here to learn together. 

All farms, including small and hobby farms require a Property Identification Code (PIC) if they intedn to run cattle, goats, sheep or pigs. The PIC is an eight digit code allocated by the relevant government authority (Livestock Health and Pest Authority takes care of this in NSW) to identify a livestock producing property.

Usually each farm has its own PIC; however, one PIC may be used for more than one property provided the farms are used for a common purpose and are close together. 

A PIC can take up to a few weeks to be alloted, the PIC must be obtained before you buy and sell 'any' livestock.

To see if your farm (in NSW) has a PIC allocated contact the LHPA by, clicking here. If there is no PIC allocated to your farm click here, to apply for an identification code.


Last seen: 12/13/2011 - 13:08
Joined: 12/13/2011 - 12:50

As an extension officer, I get asked this one a lot.  Yes you will need a PIC, this number will be used to trace the cattle under the National Livestock Identification (NLIS) system. As already answered, they are allocated by the local state authority. You will need to provide proof of ownership of the land or an agreement from the landowner to to apply for one.

Once you have a PIC, it is worth having a chat to your local stock inspector to get an idea of the other records and information you will need to know. When you receive cattle they should come with a National Vendor Declaration (NVD) and waybill that outlines the details of the animals and the recent treatments they have had, these need to kept for a certain amount of time. It will also be your responsibility as the receiver of the animals to update the NLIS database that the animals are on your property- usually an agent will do this for you, but if you buy the animals direct you will need to do it or organise it.

other than that, you are in for a lot of fun!!



New Forum Topics

Topic Replies Last post Forum
5914 Oil Level in A NH Roller Bar Hay Rake
by Clydie on Tue, 12/10/2019 - 19:19
by admin
Thu, 12/12/2019 - 10:44
Machinery & products
5909 New to all of this. Improving my posture for Alpacas.
by Gingerbread Man on Sun, 12/08/2019 - 11:17
by admin
Thu, 12/12/2019 - 10:41
Pastures & Crops
5908 Adding cameras to tracotrs
by IHeartRobots on Fri, 12/06/2019 - 08:20
by IHeartRobots
Fri, 12/06/2019 - 08:20
Farm software
5757 Nigerian Dwarf Goats
by gem7680 on Wed, 07/03/2019 - 17:28
by First Fleet
Wed, 12/04/2019 - 11:39
5905 GST on agistment lease
by Louise2507 on Mon, 12/02/2019 - 09:59
by Louise2507
Mon, 12/02/2019 - 12:49
General Forum
5466 How to Become Classified as A Primary Producer/Alpacas
by Char on Fri, 02/01/2019 - 11:04
by thomen
Mon, 12/02/2019 - 10:40
Farm planning
5453 Pasture Improvement Costs
by @Nick on Mon, 01/14/2019 - 19:44
by admin
Fri, 11/29/2019 - 17:28
Farming Help
5903 Setting up Cattle scales load bars
by bigdave06 on Wed, 11/27/2019 - 13:43
by bigdave06
Wed, 11/27/2019 - 13:43
General Forum
5894 Soil aeration
by Albertgotdonkey on Fri, 11/08/2019 - 08:16
by Albertgotdonkey
Tue, 11/19/2019 - 17:33
General Forum
3032 Selling meat off farm that is slaughtered by a registered abattoir
by Dominiquet on Sun, 08/14/2016 - 17:38
by admin
Mon, 11/18/2019 - 11:13
Farming Help
5855 sheep and goats
by mick650 on Mon, 09/09/2019 - 20:06
by ploist125
Thu, 11/14/2019 - 06:11
General Forum
5891 Growing/cutting hay
by megssss on Wed, 11/06/2019 - 11:14
by admin
Wed, 11/13/2019 - 10:58
Farming Help
699 How do you use software to help you run your farm ?
by clement_911 on Sat, 02/25/2012 - 19:20
by kakhankaramm
Fri, 11/08/2019 - 18:29
General Forum
5889 Please help with choice
by PeterHigg on Thu, 10/31/2019 - 22:59
by admin
Fri, 11/08/2019 - 12:46
Farm planning
5887 Sheep and Cattle Per Acre
by Jack Lambo on Tue, 10/29/2019 - 08:17
by admin
Thu, 10/31/2019 - 11:13
3849 Paralysis Tick Prevention - sheep/lamb
by BecS on Sat, 09/22/2018 - 07:00
by AuroraDaniels
Wed, 10/23/2019 - 18:04
General Forum
5870 Do lambs need to be treated prior to Consumption?
by Bushwick on Sun, 10/06/2019 - 22:15
by admin
Mon, 10/21/2019 - 11:17
2899 Chamberlain Countryman 354 Parking Brake
by countryman on Sat, 05/07/2016 - 12:33
by Peter Holmes
Sat, 10/19/2019 - 10:28
Farming Help
3059 Tractor implements... Advice please.
by Mal on Sat, 09/10/2016 - 11:08
by pasture.improv…
Fri, 10/11/2019 - 11:10
Farming Help
5869 Goat founder, please help.
by annef202 on Sun, 10/06/2019 - 12:32
by admin
Fri, 10/11/2019 - 11:09

Our Sponsors

Our Partners